Saturday, October 18, 2008

Going on a blogging safari

I've just volunteered to be a blogger at the New England Library Association conference which starts this Sunday at the Radisson in Manchester NH. The safari guide is the Information Technology Section of NELA and free internet acccess for the blog is Plymouth Rocket, one of the exhibitors. That's a bonus in itself as the hotel charges for internet access (can you imagine, in this day and age?). ITS has created a wiki for conference blogging and when you log in you can sign up for specific sessions. Thus far I'll be blogging the Games and Gaming drop-in demo which is scheduled for each day and is an offshoot of Beth Gallaway's Get Your Game On to be held on Sunday afternoon. If you ever get a chance to attend one of Beth's library gaming presentations, DO IT! Hopefully my blogging duties won't interfere with a rock out session on Guitar Hero and my left pinkie finger won't be tired and hamper the operation of that damn orange key. I'm also blogging a Monday session of Libraries as Commons. This safari is also going to allow me to kill three birds with one stone as I'll also be posting photos to the NELA Conference Flickr so I can fulfill my 26.2 Things assignment for the week, I'm a former officer of NELA so I'm happy I have a chance to "give back" by providing this service and finally, to experiment with blogging and Flickr out of the comfort zone of my own library setting.
If you're attending the conference, drop by and say hi but I warn you, I rock at Guitar Hero.

2 comments:

Jennifer Koerber said...

Remind me never to challenge you at GH! I barely finished the Beginner level on GH1...never could get the hang of that orange button. Congrats on going outside your zone and blogging for NELA; could you post the link to the conference blog so that we can follow along with your adventures? On that note, I coordinated the bloggers for MLA in May and they seemed to have plenty of time for fun and work. (You can check out the results of their work here. And yes, given the pervasiveness of the need for net access, you'd think hotels and conference centers would have just incorporated it into the base use charge by now. Travelodge does, for goodness' sake! At any rate, enjoy your conference blogging and remember to play!

Jennifer Koerber said...

Hi there! How did blogging for NELA work out?